INDT 501- Flipping the Classroom

Posted by on October 6, 2013

To flip or not to flip.. that…., is the question.

After realizing that this week’s topic was covering flipping the classroom, I got really excited to share. My roommate just presented this idea of “flipping the classroom” to Central Office and got approved for his presentation. I remember the first time he explained the concept to me. I felt a bit confused but interested at the same time.

Flipping the classroom is designed to present students with video’s, activities, demonstrations, or lessons outside of the classroom. This idea allows for students to engage in meaningful experiences while in the four-walled classroom because the lesson had already taken place prior to face-to-face instruction. This idea also allows for students to come into the classroom prepared for discussion while having a deeper knowledge of the subject material.

After observing my roommate and his successful encounters with flipping the classroom, I would have to say that I am all for it. I find it as a beneficial tool that allows for us to interact with students daily, whether it be in the classroom or at home. I believe that flipping the classroom redefines homework and takes students to a deeper level. It not only allows for us to direct them in learning, but it allows for us to reach them on a day we may miss them.

In Stafford County, we are used to block scheduling. Block scheduling is when schools follow four classes a day for 90 minutes. Some classes meet everyday and some meet every other day. Flipping the classroom accounts for the days that are missed. An educator could prepare a video with an activity for an “off” day that they do not see those students. Flipping the classroom allows you to continue your lesson plans and build lifelong learners. It allows us to account for those days missed and build on positive experiences in the classroom pertaining to the information they were presented as homework.

Many websites can be used for flipping the classroom. My roommate was using an application that would allow him to record for his students what he was clicking on while using a voiceover method. In one of my studies here at The University of Mary Washington, I was instructed to use a website called Knovio. This website allows its users to create presentations using a webcam and PowerPoint slides for educational use. When given the URL, users can access your webcam and slides next to each other for instructions to activities. My roommate found this as a useful tool and has incorporated it into his lesson plans for instructions before activities are given. He has now found that he can use multiple devices to get the message/lesson across and can use them to his advantage depending on what he is trying to have his students engage in.

You may still be skeptical about this idea and may be wondering how students have access to technology outside of the four-walled-classroom. According to Bergmann and Sams in their Book, Flip Your Classroom, they explained that many educators have access to apply for school grants. They are eligible for money to help purchase devices, which in turn allows students the opportunity to rent from the school and use at home. They also mentioned multiple outlets that have allowed parents and caretakers to donate old or used technology for under-privileged students to use outside of the classroom. This has created a new idea for educators to introduce flipping the classroom and see the many benefits it has for students.

I believe that flipping the classroom opens many windows of opportunities for both the students, the school, and the educator. It has many benefits to the idea and if used properly can teach students how to properly use technology along with teach them time management and how to be lifelong learners.

References:

Bergmann, J., Sams, A., (2012). Flip your classroom: Reach every student in every class every day. Eugene, OR: International Society for Technology in Education.

One Response to INDT 501- Flipping the Classroom

1. Amy Miller

Great post, Brittany!

I think the flipped classroom concept under the ideal circumstances is a great time management tool for educators. It would save classroom time and reserve the entire block for hands on learning and experiences.

I am looking forward to hearing more about your roommate’s experiences in his classroom with the flipped approach. It is a sign of the times that Stafford County has approved this approach in their school district, the trend will continue to spread as students and teachers have positive results.