Week Two: EDCI 506-02 Professional Goal

Posted by on September 8, 2013

Diversity_Matters.img_assist_custom

As I am beginning a new career and I look forward 5-10 years, I see a lot changing in the way that I instruct and maintain a classroom.  I just started on my teaching journey and have found that it is something I must continually educate myself on. That idea, in fact, is one big thing I like about teaching. I like to constantly improve and learn how I can perform better than the first time around. This can be hard when pin pointing exactly where I will want to be in 5-10 years.

In 5-10 years I plan to have found a way to incorporate both the 21st Century Knowledge and the Core Curriculum to my instruction. The 21st Century learners are the generations in school currently and ages range between 11-30 years old (Coffman, 2013). They learn by using social media and the use of technology in their daily routines. I find it extremely important for us to change the responsibility to not only on ourselves, but also on the students and the curriculum to follow technology information. Most teachers today have a hard time trusting this idea solely on technology and the student. If we are to let go of the strict core curriculum and incorporate information technology systems, I believe we can find new ways to introduce ideas to the students which would then create the opportunity for the students to invent, creative think, critically think and explore. This is the act of using inquiry in the classroom (Coffman, 2013).

Today, it is important to include technology in the classroom because it is the key to set our future generations up for success. By incorporating technology to display lesson plans, it allows for our students to receive hands-on experience and in turn helps them make meaningful memories of the subject. By placing these two things together, we have covered the InTasc Standard Content area #4 and #5. According to the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO, 2011), these standards outline the common principles and foundations of teaching practice that cut across all subject areas and grade levels and that are necessary to improve student achievement. These areas state that teachers must have a deep understanding of their content areas and be able to draw upon content knowledge as they work with learners to access information, apply knowledge in real world setting, and address meaningful issues to assure learner mastery of the content (CCSSO, 2011). Not only is it important for us to be comfortable with technology, but many people forget that technology can be a useful tool for communication and language. Being able to incorporate all of these things and having a strong subject understanding of education and the subject material, I will have conquered my goal as a professional educator in 5-10 years

During our activity and participation grade, I enjoyed learning my classmates’ input to the InTasc Standard areas. I enjoyed reading how they would incorporate the content material with their specific subject field. I was engaged with this activity and pushed myself to think outside of the box to come up with different ideas. For Standard #4 Content Knowledge, I based my content off of the subject area of business. This is what I came up with:

1. Smart Board interactive lesson plans and pictures for business instruction

2. Smart response pads for business vocabulary and tests

3. Social networking applications such as Twitter to collect and analyze data

4. Resume building and software application content

5. Business education continuation

Continuing this idea comes Standard #5, Application of Content:

1. Create the big question and draw from it to thinking creatively in problem solving

2. Maintain professional and correct vocabulary/grammar, and use it on a daily basis

3. Learn and practice how to communicate with people from all over the world and analyze their data findings for application to real world situations.

4. Maintain a work portfolio that includes updated resume to give to employers

5. Improve and build upon existing knowledge and experiences while applying it to hands-on work experience and interactions

My goal in the next 5-10 years is to maintain and build off of these core ideas. I believe that with the constant change of our fast-paced world, we must stay focused and engaged with what is going on around us. I want to be a step ahead of technology and how it is used in the classroom to make it a positive and educational experience for students. I want my classroom to be meaningful and use inquiry in my classroom on a daily basis. I think it will be a challenge to allow myself to change and adapt, but I truly believe it is what we need to succeed and I know it will be worth it!

References:

Coffman. T. (2013). Using inquiry in the classroom: Developing creative thinkers and information literate students. (2nd Ed.). Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Education.

Council of Chief State School Officers. (2011). Interstate Teacher Assessment and Support Consortium (InTASC) Model Core Teaching Standards: A Resource for State Dialogue. Washington, DC: Author.